Friday, June 18, 2010

Two Months Old

Our sweet baby Jena is two months old. She has changed our hearts and our lives forever and our family has grown both in size and in love since she has arrived.

Jill can't get enough of her...

Jill will say in her baby voice "it's okaaaaaay" and pat Jena's head when she cries. She now calls her "Nena" instead of baby or sometimes she will say "baby Nena". She constantly wants to kiss her and pick her up. So we have to constantly be aware of where Jill is because she is looking for any opportunity to do so.

Jane, the professional big sister, has been amazing. She asks to hold Jena daily and though I was concerned at first I have discovered that she can actually be a great help. In addition to getting things like diapers and burp rags, Jane also will hold Jena and rock her and sing to her while I pack our bags to get ready to go somewhere. Also, Jane can make Jena smile faster and bigger than anyone else. Jena will light up at the sound of Jane's voice. They have some kind of special bond. Maybe it comes from having the same letters in their name or from how Jena favors Jane.

At two months Jena is happy, except when she's not ;). She is cuddly. She likes to be held tight, I mean TIGHT! She likes to be upright, mostly I think because she is dealing with acid reflux. She is strong! She can sit up at more than a 45 degree angle and is always working on her "baby sit ups". She likes the swing and the bouncer but mostly she just wants to be held. She likes music and as I said the sound of Jane's voice. My voice is a favorite too. She likes her paci (just like Jane did) and is a good nurser like Jill. She loves it when Jay holds her up high like this...
She's had a lot of tests run since she was born. The latest one was a VEP (visual evoked potential) test in which she had electrodes hooked up to her head and a pair of special goggles on that flashed visual stimuli at her (see picture below). She was not a fan! This test is supposed to tell us if the pathways from her eyes to her brain are working. The hardest part in dealing with all of this is waiting to find out what we even have to deal with. We have discovered that test results don't come speedily. We've heard that the results went straight into files without being read, doctors are on vacation or just plain have forgotten to call. I feel blessed that God has entrusted us with the care of Jena and I know with the strong support system we have of family and friends that we can handle whatever is to come but like I said the hardest part so far has been the waiting.

It has been a very quick two months and I fear time only goes faster from here. Jena has already lost her "startle" reflex :( Those of you who have had newborns might recall it. For the time being I am soaking in every second of that baby smell that I can because alas it goes away too fast! We love you Miss Jena! Happy two monthiversary!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! It's fun reading about the bond between Jane and Jena, and the photo of Jill practically climbing into the carseat with her baby sister is too cute! You are such a great mom, and I admire your strength. I hope, hope, hope you get test results soon!
Tricia

Erin K said...

Love that first pic of Jill loving on Jena. And I too love the bond between Jane and Jena. Sisters! Nothing beats having a sister. I know it's been a tough 2 months as far as testing, but hang in there. I know things are going to work out for the best. Jena is soooo lucky that she has sooo many people that love her. And of course...she's so stinkin' cute! Hugs from the Kaminski's!

kristy said...

Now you made cry. There is NOTHING like the love of a sister- how blessed your girls are to each get two!

Joanne, your strength as mom inspires me. You are so positive, loving, and make make life so fun for your girls... no matter what you are going through! I like just being around you!

kristy said...

Now you made cry. There is NOTHING like the love of a sister- how blessed your girls are to each get two!

Joanne, your strength as mom inspires me. You are so positive, loving, and make make life so fun for your girls... no matter what you are going through! I like just being around you!

Joanne said...

We got the test results in!! Great news- they said Jena is receiving information from both eyes! They also said one eye is getting less information than the other so in a couple of weeks when we go back to the doctor Jena will get a patch on one eye.

Janelle's Little Blog said...

Joanne,
I just love you and your beautiful family. I love seeing Jill love all over Jena, and I love seeing Jane smile so big while holding her!! I can't believe how big Jena is getting...she is looking like a little baby instead of a newborn! You ARE such a great mom--a great family. God certainly knew what He was doing! Love you much~j

Allison said...

Beautiful! I echo what everyone else has said. Great news on the VEP results. Only the best for month 3 and beyond!!

TLEB said...

Yay, Joanne, on the test results! That is so exciting! I'll have to tell Elizabeth that she has a "patch" sister! (maybe it will make her more willing to wear hers!) You have handled everything so amazingly, God couldn't have put Jena in a better family. We love you all and I can't get over that Jena is 2 months old already!!!