Friday, June 12, 2009

Gymnastics

Today was Jane's first day of gymnastics and I have no pictures to post (even though she looked absolutely adorable!) because there was nothing to take pictures of. Let me explain... we get there and the teacher is super cute and nice and sweet and Jane takes her hand along with the other four kids in her class as long as I hold her other hand and so I take her in but then when they go in to sit on the mat Jane doesn't want me to leave. When I show her the windows I will be sitting behind with Jill and tell her she can wave at me anytime she is finally okay with me "leaving". She turns to wave at me at least ten times in the first two minutes. She watches and half pretends like she is going to participate during stretch time but she just looks down. Then when it is time for the kids to get up and move to another part of the gym Jane just sits there. Her teacher talks to her and tries to get her to go with the other kids and she nods like she understands and then she just sits there. So the teacher moves on doing forward rolls with everyone else but Jane. I come in to talk to her and tell her to listen and do what her teacher asks and she says okay and I leave and she just sits there. I come in again, ask her if she wants to leave, she says no and she will do it and then she just sits there. I come in, pull her out, have her watch the other kids having fun. She says she wants to do it so I take her back and she just sits there. Finally, I come and get her and we left. I was SOOOOOO disappointed. I totally don't understand the shy thing. I never was shy and so I am trying REALLY hard to understand this but I see it as her being defiant. I just don't get it! Help!

6 comments:

Allison said...

I don't know... I was shy but I would have done it because I wouldn't want to stand out. Maybe if you talk about it all week she will be ready next time??! Hope people answer your question and can help.
~Allison

Joanne said...

She has already said she wants to go back but she really wanted to do it this morning and she SAID she wanted to do it when she got there... We'll try again next Friday I guess.

Allison said...

Ha, you already saw my comment! Well, you can delete it because I am thinking that you should talk to the teacher and ask that if it doesn't bother the class if Jane could just sit and watch - she may get up in the middle when she thinks no one is paying attention to her and join in. As long as she isn't disrupting then maybe that is the best way to attack the next try...
~Allison
*She will love it by the last class and then it will be over. :)

TLEB said...

I agree with Allison - I think you should just leave her the whole class (especially if she is being quiet and not screaming or something) and I'll bet eventually she'll get up and join in. It took Ben about 3 class sessions to participate at all in his gym class. I also talked it up big time all week about how he was a big boy and how much fun he was going to have, etc.. I don't know if any of that will work, let us know!

Erin K said...

Let me know what works because I totally see Sophia doing something like that but she may totally change by the time she's three. Who knows?

jessica said...

Good luck! I have no helpful advice because Cooper's not old enough to do stuff like that by himself yet, but I can totally see him doing that. I can't wait to hear how she does next week, I hope she participates!!