Sunday, April 24, 2011

Earth Day

So I was super excited to hear that Lowes was giving away a free tree for Earth Day. I have been wanting to plant a tree. When Jay and I moved in to our house there was a beautiful willow tree in the backyard and not three months after we had moved in a bad storm uprooted the tree and we lost it. :( Now we have no tree in our front or back yard and I have been wanting to plant one in both. So, off we go to Lowes to get our free tree. Jay waited in the car with the girls while I ran in and as I came out of the store holding a lunch size paper bag with our free "tree" sitting in the bottom two inches of it, I could see Jay 50 yards away in the car laughing hysterically. Oh well. We decided to go on with our plans to plant it, albeit in a small pot. (They said it can be transplanted in the ground after a year or so). 

We took it over to my moms knowing she would have all of the supplies we needed. Here are the girls putting the dirt in the pots...




And planting our new tree, which Jane has already started calling our Christmas tree (it's a pine). I don't have the heart to tell her that even by Christmas it won't be as big as she is.


We also planted a strawberry plant that we got from Rachel.



So there we are doing our part. Happy Earth Day everybody!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get some good strawberries that the girls can eat! And that huge tree!!!! What a treat. MawMaw

Erin K said...

Happy Earth day to you to! Way to go for doing your part.

Allison said...

That is awesome. I am laughing too. Go Sparks family!

Unknown said...

LOL! I think I could hear Jay laughing down here in San Antonio! We planted a few treesup there, but the Ash tree we planted was really cheap and grew really fast... Jane could decorate it by Christmas!